Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Deals, Deals, Deals

I do not necessarily believe in New Years Resolutions. That is probably because for the past several years, I always resolved to get in shape and tone up. I am 24 years old, how hard could it be? Well, the years have come and gone and am I toned? Am I in shape? That would be a resounding NO. I don't think that I am fat but I DO think that I have lots of room to improve. I didn't even work out before my own wedding, so how could I think some silly New Years Resolution would be enough to get me running? But, I digress. This is not about weight loss. This is about a New Years hope or dream, not so much a restrictive resolution. It is my desire for 2010 to become the new Coupon Queen of America. I have seen so many news stories and books on ladies who can buy $100 worth of groceries for a mere quarter. I want to learn from these women, and then take over their queenly thrones as the most stealthy, accomplished, and frugal coupon cutting machine ever!

Ok, I might be taking this just a little too far, but I love the thrill of saving money. It is a trait I learned from my mother. She was a coupon clipper while I was growing up and I used to love sorting through her coupons, looking at the pictures and dreaming of the day that I would be the mommy cutting the coupons and saving the money. Ok, let's face it - I was a strange child. :)

So, to keep me accountable to my coupon dreams, I am going to occasionally post my newest deals. After going through the Kroger add for this week and sorting though my new coupon collection (Thanks to my mother!), here are my deals for the week. And remember, the Eat From Your Pantry Challenge is this coming week at my house so hopefully my basket won't be too full...

Russet potatoes: 5lb bag for $1.69
Rotisserie Chicken: $4.99
Kroger Shredded Cheese: 3 for $5 or $1.67 ea
Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls: $1 - with coupons, I will get 4 cans for $2.10
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls: $1- with coupons, I will get 5 cans for $2.70
Chef Boyardee Pasta: $1- with my coupon, I will get it for 40 cents!
Apples: 99 cents/ lb
Tomatoes: $1.49/ lb

Add in a loaf of bread, some lunch meat and milk and we are ready for the week!
Happy shopping and more importantly, happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever been to Aldi?
    They don't do coupons b/c for the most part their deals are unbeatable.
    I do about 95% of my grocery shopping there. You should check it out. They don't have name brand stuff, if you care about that. They have their own brand. Some things taste a little different but if you're really willing to save money, you'll get used to the taste, we did. :)
    It's worth checking into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I LOVE Aldi, ths only problem is that there isn't one anywhere close to my house that I would feel safe enough to go to alone. So, I make occasional trips when I head to the suburbs to see my family. But wow, amazing prices! Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that. I wouldn't go if I weren't in a good area either. I'm all about the safety as well, especially being a pregnant woman too!

    Do you get the Kroger and Schnuck's adds in the mail every Tuesday? The products on the front and back pages are what I call "Loss Leaders." The companies are losing money to try and get us in the stores b/c they think we'll do all our shopping there. They always have their meats and produce pretty cheap. I always buy the boneless/skinless chicken breasts during those sales and get at least 10 pounds b/c it's usually about $1.77 a pound or less.

    Also, check out Miserly Mom's: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy (author: Jonni McCoy). It's on Amazon.com for less than $10. It's a super great read on how to make your own stuff, find great deals and just all together pay attention to where your money goes and where you can save more.
    I'm always looking for ways to save us more money and this book is very helpful. A friend let me borrow hers and I have yet to buy my own copy but I will very soon!

    ReplyDelete