Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 19, 2010

Proverbs 31 Challenge- Day Four

It seems like forever since I have been able to get on here! I miss writing but now I am afraid that the long absence will cause me to have writers block. It has been a pretty crazy two weeks for our family. After getting over my headache issues, we have been swamped with one thing after another. I think Red Head and I have only had one night at home together all week! We are trying to make the most of these last few months of just the two of us and spend time with as many people as possible since our schedules won't be quiet as flexible when Baby comes along. It has been busy but so fun! And now, it is time to roll up my sleeves and catch up on The Challenge!

Day Four

"She seeks wool and flax, and willingly works with her hands." Proverbs 31:13

This verse has been giving me a hard time. Honestly, I don't completely understand how it exactly relates to us in 2010, when we buy most of our clothes rather than making them by hand. But, I will try to get through this with the Lord's help!

We all know that wool is the undercoat of sheep that has been used for centuries to weave fabric. Don't you just love how warm a wool sweater is in the winter? But, you may not have heard of flax before. It is a plant which is really fibrous, making it great for spinning into yarn. Egypt has been known for it's excellent crops of flax. Why do you think we all love Egyptian cotton sheets? They grow the best flax!

So, the beginning of verse thirteen says that the virtuous wife seeks out wool and flax, the two big materials that you need for making clothes. She seeks out and selects the best quality for her family. She doesn't pick the tattered, worn, or grimy. She picks the strong and durable. She is finding the best quality materials to use for making clothing for her family, and also to sell to others as we will see later in the chapter.

Does this mean that if we want to be virtuous wives that we have to make our family's clothing? No, not necessarily. But I think it wouldn't hurt to know how to sew. I can't say that I would enjoy wearing homemade jeans or a blouse I put together all by myself. And Scripture isn't telling us that we can't buy and wear store bought clothes! But, have you ever been shopping and seen something that you know you could make at home? And for a lot cheaper? My sister, mother, and I have said that so often. I would even go so far as to take pictures of things I wanted to recreate later after trip to Hobby Lobby. Very often, we can make things at home for a lot cheaper than what we could buy in a store. Aprons, children's clothing, curtains, decorations, there are so many things that are easy to learn how to sew or put together. Think of all the fun you could have working on crafts and saving money! That sounds like a winning combination to me!

The second part of the verse says that she willingly works with her hands. She delights in working with her hands, it is a pleasure. So often, I think that "working with my hands" in things like doing the dishes is just a meaningless chore that I have to get done. Washing clothes, cleaning the house, doing the bills- aren't they all just mind-numbing tasks that we just have to get done? I don't think it has to be. I think we can cultivate an attitude of delight and pleasure when we work with our hands. If you break it down, maybe that will help a little: Those dishes that are currently piling up in my sink are an eyesore, and if I leave them any longer, the kitchen is going to start to stink. (Remember, I don't have a dishwasher so my two hands are responsible for every dish!) I know this task will take my at least thirty to forty-five minutes and there are so many other things that I could do with that time that are much more pleasant. But, there those dishes sit. And the pile just keeps growing and growing. However, if I work on cultivating an attitude that delights in working with my hands, I might see those dishes a little differently. I want my husband to eat, I certainly don't want him to starve. But all the cups and forks and spoons are dirty. And all the bowls and pans to cook in,- they are all dirty, hidden under the dish pile. But wait, I could view doing the dishes as aiding my husband in getting a nutritious meal. I can make it possible for him to eat a good dinner. And with the pile gone, the kitchen would look and smell better which would be pleasant for him. And if the dishes are gone by the time he comes home, he won't feel the burden to wash them for me even after he has had a hard and long day at work. Wow, that makes the thought of washing dishes so much more pleasant- knowing that it isn't just a chore that has to get done, it is a service I can do for my husband and for our home!

The challenge today: Next time you're out shopping, think about if you could recreate the items that you have your eye on. Could you do it cheaper? Don't be afraid to try! And be willing to work with your hands! If there is something around the house that needs to be done, take care of it yourself, don't wait for your husband to do it! Also, work on cultivating a spirit that delights and takes pleasure in working with your hands. Change your mindset about all those chores!

This is a HUGE challenge for me today. That story about the dishes, well, it's a true story! I hate dishes more than anything but it is high time that I start cultivating a spirit that enjoys working with my hands!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great challenge sissy! Maybe the Lord will bless you with a dishwasher in your new home!! (And we do always say, "I can make that!!" Love you and thanks for your wise words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about a "you use it, you wash it" rule for the dishes? With just the two of you, washing the dish you've just used shouldn't be too hard. :-)

    ReplyDelete