Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Remember

I was in the tenth grade when September 11th happened. I still remember that day so vividly. A week later, as the dust began to settle, one of my teachers made us write a letter to our future children, explaining what had happened and how the world had drastically changed in our short lifetimes. This is the letter that I wrote:

September 19, 2001
My Dear Child,
Today is Wednesday, September 19, 2001. It has now been a week since the world stood still in horror and shock on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, as all of America and the world watched two buildings that were once the tallest in the world crash to the ground. Four airplanes were hijacked and crashed into the World Trade Center Towers and the Pentagon. I was sitting in Biology class when it happened but I didn't know anything until almost an hour later. Someone turned on the news and I sat there dumbfounded and confused. I was shocked when I learned the facts.

I'm writing this letter to you today in hopes that I can help you understand this tragic time that I am forced to live in. My generation never knew the threat of a war, or a draft, or even a major terrorist attack. But, now, we do. We are all now faced with those things everyday.

As I write this letter to you, I am still not sure what tomorrow will bring. I am not sure if we will go to war tomorrow, if another terrorist attack will occur, or if things will just stay the same. But, I do know that something will happen soon. Our respected and strong President George W. Bush said, "Freedom was attacked by a faceless coward... and freedom will be defended." I have a lot of faith in our great President and I know that he will protect his country, our free and great nation, to the best of his abilities. "Our nation is peaceful, but fierce when stirred to anger," said the President.

Right now, this nation of ours is feeling something it hasn't in a long, long time. Franklin Roosevelt called it "the warm courage of national unity." For once, people of every race, religion, and culture have come together. Let me tell you, it's a wonderful feeling. Every where you go you see American flags waving proudly and defiantly. It truly is an amazing sight.

Through all of this, we shall overcome and live freely again. But, my dearest child, there is one thing I want you to remember- neither death nor life nor angles nor principalities nor powers nor things to come nor height nor depth can separate us from God's love (Romans 8:28).
Love,
Your Mother

It's strange looking back on this now. It was so long ago. And now I actually have a child. A life I wish to protect above my own. May we always remember those who lost their lives that day. May we remember the heroes and the families that were left behind.

1 comment:

  1. I was in Biology too! I remember riding the bus to school for the next months and seeing how people had American flags everywhere: on their houses, cars, businesses... It was a sad time, but also a proud time to see our country come together. What a great assignment... strange to think how "far away" children seemed at that time and now we are Mommies!

    ReplyDelete