Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Birth Plan for Baby Woods

The following is my birth plan. Yes, I made a birth plan. My favorite quote is, "If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail." It's my birthing experience and although there are so many factors that I cannot control, I should be allowed to have some say in how I want the experience to progress.

Names have been edited out to protect the innocent. :)


Birth plan for ----
Dr. ----
Methodist Germantown Hospital
EDD: July 23, 2010

Attendants and Amenities:
1. I would like my friends and family to be able to come into the room during the early stages of labor. However, once the pain increases, I would like for them to leave, with only my mother, ---, my sister, ----, and my husband, ----, staying with me.
2. After I go through the transition stage and it gets close to time to push, the only non-medical person I want in the room is my husband, ---.
3. I would like to be able to play soft music during the labor process but then have it turned off once it is time to push.
4. I would like for the lights to be dimmed while I am preparing to push and during pushing.
5. I would like to have several pillows to prop up my back and my legs.
6. I would like for my husband, ---, to be able to take pictures and video during the labor process but then have any other available attendant help with picture taking afterwards.
7. I would like for my husband, --- to be able to stay with me at all times.
8. I would like to wear my contact lenses throughout the birthing process, unless I need to have a c-section.
9. I would like to be able to have clear fluids throughout the birthing process unless it is medically advised that I not do so.

Pain Relief:
10. I would like to be able to move and walk around as I choose during the early stages to cope with the pain.
11. As long as the baby and I are fine, I would like to be allowed to progress without any stringent time limits.
12. I would like to have a natural, vaginal birth with no pain medication or unnecessary medical interventions.
13. Please do not offer me any pain medications unless I specifically request them.
14. If I am struggling with nausea, I will request something to aid in easing that discomfort.
15. I would like for my husband to be able to coach me throughout the birthing process and to be allowed to massage my back as needed.

Labor:
16. When it is time to push, I would like to be coached on how long to push but also be allowed to push instinctively as my body instructs me.
17. As long as the baby and I are fine, I would like to be able to push without any stringent time limits.
18. I would like to be allowed to touch the baby’s head as it crowns.
19. I would prefer to risk a tear rather than have a routine episiotomy. However, I trust Dr. ---and if he thinks I need one, I am completely open to discussing that.

Postpartum:
20. Once the baby is born, I would like to hold it right away, putting off any procedures that aren’t absolutely urgent.
21. I would like to try to breastfeed as soon as possible.
22. I would like to have a nurse or lactation consultant help me with the first latch on.
23. I would like to have time to take pictures with my husband and new baby.
24. I would like for the umbilical cord to have time to stop pulsating before it is clamped.
25. I would like for my husband, ---, to cut the cord.

If it is medically necessary that I have a C-Section:
26. I would like my husband, ---, to be present at all times during the operation.
27. I would like the screen to be slightly lowered so that I can see the baby coming out.
28. I would like the baby to be given to my partner as soon as he or she is dried off (as long as the baby is in good health).
29. I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible in the recovery room.

After delivery:
30. I would like all the newborn procedures to take place in my presence.
31. I would like my husband, ---, to stay with the baby at all times if I cannot be there.
32. I would like to have a cot or couch bed provided for my husband, ---.
33. I would like to breastfeed exclusively.
34. I would like to feed my baby on a schedule.
35. I would like 24-hour rooming in with my baby.
36. If my baby is a boy, I would like him circumcised at the hospital.
37. I would like ample time for my husband and I to bond with the baby before we invite family members in.


Look at numbers 12-14. Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that I want to have a birth free from pain medications but that I am completely free and even inviting nausea medication. If there is one thing in life I absolutely cannot handle, it's nausea and vomiting. Pain? Sure. Nausea? Over my dead body. :)

1 comment:

  1. I would just like to say how refreshing it is to see a mother take charge and be in control of her own birthing process rather than blindly agree to whatever the doctor tells her to do. Kudos to you

    ReplyDelete